Tuesday, June 22, 2010

5 Billion apps downloaded. And counting.

When I was at WWDC 2010 a couple weeks ago, I took a picture of this synchronized cinema display that shows the activity of the 50,000 most popular App Store apps. Each app falls when downloaded and is sorted based on the color of its icon. It takes 10,800 apps to fill the display completely. The most frequent apps that were downloaded were Facebook and Twitter... both blue.


How did Apple do it?
"This hyperwall is powered by 30 Mac Pro towers with Mac OS X Snow Leopard and EVGA NVIDIA GTX 285 graphics cards. As apps are downloaded from the App Store, their data is coalesced via an XML feed every five minutes. Apps are sorted and scheduled using Cocoa and Objective-C. The data is then passed to an OpenCL Kernel, which drives the animation. Quartz Composer brings all the technologies together and renders the final synchronized output using Quartz Composer Visualizer."

1 comment:

the failing chemical engineer said...

Sarah, I ran across your profile in LinkedIn and noticed you had experienced working for a local content search provider.

I'm doing some research in the local content search arena and was wondering if you would have some time to chat briefly regarding your experience in this arena. I'm looking to understand a little more on how local content searches work and how companies get the information/business listings.

I would really appreciate the opportunity to speak with you. At your convenience, my contact information is clifford.t.tse@gmail.com or you call me at 202.454.5341